Oct 16, 2008

When you don't control your own government people want to kill you...

I just read that Ray Lowry, the man responsible for the now iconic "London Calling" artwork passed away. While it's just coincidence, right now I'm wearing my Clash shirt with the "London Calling" album cover on it. I have no memory of Ray Lowry. I've never heard his name before. I read he was a English cartoonist/satirist and contributed to such publications as the Melody Maker, NME, and The Guardian. Joe Strummer referred to him as a "war artist" while Lowry was invited to cover the Clash on their 1979 debut US tour. I'm staring down at my shirt and I feel a bit remorseful. Another piece of the Clash is gone. Like Joe, though, his work will live on forever.

It took me one and a half hours to get to school today, thanks to an accident clean up right after Ontario on the 15 freeway. It took me an hour to get to the 91 overpass. All this for a clean up. Sometimes I wish I could just leave Southern California. I think I'd be a whole lot happier.

In my last blog i touched on Proposition 8. I feel the need to revisit that topic. I've never been one to get fired up over propositions, but this one rubs me the wrong way. You know what bothers me the most about this proposition, is that as far as we've come as a society; as humanity, we haven't come far enough. In a year that has seen a viable African-American presidential candidate who beat a capable and legitimate woman for the Democratic presidential nomination and a female vice presidential candidate (for whatever reason she got the nod) we still have qualms with homosexuals. And I don't understand why. Lets get one thing very clear, there is nothing wrong with homosexuality. It's an alternative lifestyle choice that is in no way damaging, dangerous, confusing, or harmful. And here we are a society telling homosexuals that their lifestyle is wrong and that we are taking away their right to be happy. Sure, they're allowed civil unions, but what's really the difference between a civil union and the relationship you have with your significant other. And why is it that homosexuals should be treated differently? Because they find the same sex attractive and that disgusts you? Because your children might catch "gay?" Because they might destroy the nuclear family? I hate to tell you this, but the nuclear family was destroyed long ago by heterosexual couples who get married and divorced about as often as getting an oil change. Every three thousand miles it's time for a new spouse. And that's not damaging for children? I know plenty of people who have been permanently scared from divorces. So don't feed me that bullshit that same-sex marriage will destroy the normal family.

And why is it that the government always seems to dictate what people can and can't do in regards to their personal lives. I understand you can't murder, can't steal etc... and that's where the government should govern. With regards to same-sex marriage, abortion, one's right to legally obtain and smoke marijuana and subjects of that matter the government needs to leave it be. Go back to governing a nation for the sake of the public, and not governing the public for the false sense of progress.How about instead of worrying about whether or not gay's can marry they figure out how to end this fucking trillion dollar war. How about, instead of deciding whether or not it's a woman's right to choose they figure out a way to solve the economic crisis that's crippling this once proud country. SIDEBAR: If the government wants to cut down on costs they should de-criminalize weed, cutting down on non-violent drug offenders and in turn spinning a profit on weed. I mean, shit, cigarettes are legal right? but I digress. There are more important issues than ones of personal choice.

Here's the deal, everybody deserves to be happy. Everybody deserves to find love and live out their days with their loved ones. Everybody deserves to be treated equal. You can't decide who can and can't get married based on their sexual preference. I wish that the American people, and the American government would just understand that. Final summation: Vote No on Proposition 8, and let's show the world how far America has come. Don't give me another reason to be embarrassed in not only California but America.

In more positive news (this post has been kind of a downer) things with Catherine are going great. I don't want to get ahead of myself or give any sense of false hope, but I might be just be in this for the long hall. And I've never felt like this before; so absolutely sure that this could work. Normally I'm talking myself into the relationship working, telling myself if I say around long enough I'll actually want a future. Not the case with this one. Listen to me, sounding like I actually buy into love (oh my... I actually do.) She's definitely been a positive change, almost like a savior. I don't know where I'd be right now without her.
I have to go to class.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And this is why I love you.