Oct 8, 2008

Lessons Learned


Today was rough. I woke up thinking that maybe the heartache and disappointment of yet another Angels October demise would subside, but it didn't. It still lingered. I didn't want to get out of bed, and if it weren't for a couple assignments that needed to be turned in, I probably wouldn't have.


I was still at a loss for words. How exactly did a team that won 100 games in the regular season suddenly forget to play? Was it the pressure? Was it the Red Sox? I don't know. I tried not to dwell on it, but walking around my campus didn't help. It seems the majority of the Orange County chapter of Red Sox Nation attends Cal State Fullerton too, so all day I walked past smug assholes in green Red Sox hats and Papelbon jerseys. It took every ounce of strength to not say something.

After game one, Catherine met me somewhere to cheer me up. After game two (the single worst game I have ever attended) I met Catherine at a bar in downtown Fullerton so she could cheer me up. And she was also part of maybe the single greatest date I had ever been on in my life on Saturday. Today, after game four, she made sure that I was okay by calling and texting, and putting up with my shit. Today was one of those asshole days. You know, where no matter what you're just an asshole. I (lovingly I might add) razzed her for her love of Lord of the Rings, and every other dorky tendency she has. She rolled with it, and came over later on in the night. This is why she deserves the Nobel Prize in the field of "Kick Ass Girlfriend."

The moral of the blog? Sports are a nice distraction, but at the end of the day, it's just a game. The girlfriend can serve as a distraction, but at the end of the day she's what matters. Maybe I'm finally growing up?

Ps... this does not in any way excuse the poor situational hitting or Howie Kendrick's performance in the ALDS.

No comments: